· What is this we hear about Ancient Egyptians being Great Magicians ?
· Were they?
· What was their magic?
· Did they possess para-natural or “metaphysical” skills?
· Was it all about spells and potions and magic words?
· Did they actually have the secret of turning cheap metals into Gold?
For over forty centuries in Egypt, Math, Engineering, Astronomy, Chemistry, Physics, Medicine, Technology, Arts, Music & Philosophy were developed inside Temples with a great deal of Mystery and Secrecy.
Priests used their exclusive knowledge in performing what would appear as miracles to those who knew nothing of the secrets of such scientific and technological advances.
They also used such knowledge & Technology to make exclusive products worth its weight in GOLD, turning cheap sands into impressive glassware, cheap impure metal ore into weapons and tools of great value.
Those admitted into the priesthood / academia had to prove their worthiness and commitment and purity, and complex Rituals, special words, scented fumes, even music and dances accompanying delivery of such miracles. The rituals made those miracles seem connected to the religion and the mysterious para-natural forces. Of course, they were just using physics and chemistry and natural laws of the universe, only known to them at the time.
Thus they were known to turn dirt and cheap metals to GOLD. Of course, there existed myths, and there flourished some magical arts amongst the public which frauds and reject priests would perform imitated tricks to the public utilizing illusion, psychological deception, etc.
Many of the Greek and Greco-Egyptian scientists managed to get into scholar affiliations to the temples during the period 330 BC to Approx 400 AD and they documented a good deal of that knowledge and further developed cohesive theoretical frameworks for some branches of those sciences. Much of the exclusive knowledge, however, was never transferred to later generations. With the banning of Egyptian Language and scripts by the decree of 391, Egyptian Language was lost and soon forgotten.
Some scrolls containing remains of such knowledge were passed down from Greeks and Romans to Europeans, and during the dark ages, this idea of turning cheap metals into Gold became very popular amongst kings, nobility, adventurers and frauds alike. Because the Egyptian Hieroglyphs meant nothing to them, they would think that the symbols themselves had some magical powers, while such scrolls may had contained a step-by-step procedure to produce a certain chemical in the lab but because of such obscurity, it would appear as some magical script Abracadabra sort of thing.
The manner in which religion, philosophy, science and technology were intertwined in those procedures gave rise to such spiritual link and enhanced the para-natural appearance of the memory of the Egyptian Alchemy.
· How the Egyptian language was lost for 15 centuries: The word "hieroglyph" comes from the Greek hieros (sacred) & glyphos (words or signs)
· Ancient Egyptians called the Hieroglyphs 'mdju netjer' = Divine Scripture or "words of the gods"
· Egyptians believe in the power of the words and the names ...
· Earliest Hieroglyphs were discovered on bone, ivory, pottery & clay impressions discovered in a pre-dynastic tomb in Abydos dated 3400 BC.
· 391AD: Christian Byzantine Emperor banned Egyptian religions, temples & Hieroglyphs & started to persecute followers of Egyptian religions
· When Theodosius 1 closed the temples - he terminated a 4000 year old tradition & the language & knowledge of ancient Egypt was lost!
· Philosophy of Isis continued until around the 6th century (in Philae - far to the south - away from persecution)... & secretly thereafter
· Well into this day - around the world - in different forms of the revived traditions
· But when the language was the lost - the vast ancient knowledge became almost encrypted!
· Some knowledge was passed on - through the Greeks and Arabs - but a lot was lost
· The rumor was that the ancient scrolls contained the secret knowledge of turning dirt and cheap metal into gold!
· The physical act of burning thousands & thousands of scrolls in Alexandria Library + banning of the language = sealed & encrypted the knowledge
· The library may have suffered several fires or acts of destruction over many years. Possible occasions for the partial or complete destruction of the Library of Alexandria include a fire set by Julius Caesar in 48 BC, an attack by Aurelian in the AD 270s, and the decree of Coptic Pope Theophilus in AD 391.
· The turning of dirt into gold was only metaphoric: Manufacturing products & medicines from basic ingredients which were exchanged for gold
· Ancient Egypt is commonly referred to as 'km.t' - hence the arts of Chemistry (& more mystical / fraudulent Alchemy) ... acquired the name
· The whole fraudulent tradition around Alchemy centered around this rumor which was only metaphoric: Egyptian Monks could turn dirt into gold
· The technology was lost in the temples - and only unintelligible scrolls could be found - because of the lost language ...
· The scrolls did contain the secrets of making products, ointments and medications - but no one could decrypt the knowledge within
· k.mt itself means black land or black soil ... possibly enforcing the link between Alchemy and the rumor of turning dirt into gold
· To make things worse-Egyptian monks mixed technology with spirituality - they would utter some prayers as they made their "magical" products
· Ancient monks/technologists would utter prayers as they made "magical" products -as to bless their work - as most Egyptians do till this day
· The whole thing became obscured with the loss of the language ... and hence Abracadabra bogus traditions emerged
· I actually think that what the Ancients used their exclusive knowledge of Chemistry, Physics, Technology, Astronomy, etc., in making things which appeared “magical” to others … including kings and nobility.
· It is said (Source is Socrates Scholasticus and others) that a Bishop "Cyril" was behind the killing of Hypatia of Alexandria ... on the hands of a Christian mob ...
· Death of Hypatia in 415 AD, marked the end of an era of science, art, knowledge and enlightenment - and entry into savagery and dark ages
· For 8 centuries ... and beyond ... human civilization limbed - mostly backwardly ...
· To date humanity has yet to heal from that set back
· The old traditions were not as "Pagan" nor idiotic as they were made to sound ..
· If anything, they revered the natural forces and the balance, equilibrium and harmony which must exist between man and nature - if man was to survive - that is
· In essence - the ancient traditions looked at physics and spirituality as if they were mere facets of the same grand scheme of things.
According to Wikipedia, Egyptian magic, Heka activates (Ka) - the soul which embodied personality.
Heka (//; Egyptian: Ḥkȝ; also spelt Hike) was the deification of magic in ancient Egypt, his name being the Egyptian word for "magic". According to Egyptian writing (Coffin text, spell 261), Heka existed "before duality had yet come into being." The term "Heka" was also used for the practice of magical ritual. The Coptic word "hik" is derived from the Ancient Egyptian.
Heka literally means activating the Ka, the aspect of the soul which embodied personality. Egyptians thought activating the power of the soul was how magic worked. "Heka" also implied great power and influence, particularly in the case of drawing upon the Ka of the gods. Heka acted together with Hu, the principle of divine utterance, and Sia, the concept of divine omniscience, to create the basis of creative power both in the mortal world and the world of the gods.